Sunday, July 12, 2009

Daydreaming about Study Abroad

Dream is the greatest thing for you to feel such a fantastic or imagination which exist below your consciousness. A nice dream is hoped by everyone because this can give a happy feeling and you can enjoy your day with a wonderful fun. However, I think we also can dream not only when we are sleeping. During my internship phase, I always do daydreaming. How come?

This thing has initiated by my obsession to be a academic staff in my university, especially since my meeting with Bu Dewi and Pak Tommy. My daydreaming actually began by visiting Thailand where AIT is located there. But.. oh no! I think I should try another direction, haha.. I would find a better institute one.

Until now, I have visited Australia, US, UK, Singapore, Germany and so on to pick my future university candidate for my master and PhD programme. I used keywords "regional planning", "regional development", "development studies", or "planning studies" to browse some program that suit with my interests. Yeah.. I'm interested on regional analysis that is issued about regional development in economic, social, and environmental context. Among these aspects, regional development more stressed on economic view. I love this path because I can think more comprehensive to learn and plan regions as long as utilizing it's owned resources and capacity.

I also surfed each university choice by explore it's academic quality and credibility, facilities, fees, chance to get scholarship, curriculum structure and all courses, accommodation, and also halal food and prayer time information. This step also I did when I chose Regional and City Planning program for my 1st choice in Kemitraan Nusantara 3 years ago. At that time, I felt in love with Regional and City Planning and think to get the chair on this program. Alhamdulillah, now I can study here and moreover now begin to think my next departure in abroad.

Just FYI, from my visits I can inform some characteristics of each country.

Australia. We can get scholarship from Australian Governments such as ADS or Endeavour which are full scholarship including tuition fees, departure allowance, living allowance and accommodation, healthy insurance, and student visa. You also can work at part time when you study. I suggest to consider universities joined Group of Eight because academic quality of these universities is more secured.
Australian academic system classified programs to undergraduate degree, Honours (research program continued from undergraduate who has an excellence ability), masters by coursework (get your master by pass courses), master by research (80% of your study is research), and higher research (PhD).

USA. Maybe you can obtain such as Fulbright scholarship or others but it will not cover your full fees. However, my lecturer asked us not to worry about it because we can get part time job and you can earn money which is more than you need! There are a lot of world class universities there. Generally, the universities will ask high pre-requisites on English capability, academic records, and also academic potency. There is an unique fact from America. PhD students who cannot meet the qualification can obtain 'MPhil' degee as a bonus.

UK. Some people say that London is the best place in Europe. Unfortunately, only excellence candidates will get full scholarship. You have to browse deeper to know what scholarship you can get. Anyway, varied from US, firstly you will registered as MPhil student that one day his/her status will be improved to PhD candidates if your supervisor assess that your research is progressive and meet the qualification.

Germany. Generally postgraduate programmes in Germany are free of tuition fees. The program maybe conducted in German or English. Some scholarship to cover living expenses are provided. However, it's very possible to finance your costs with work. The DAAD scholarship will give you allowance to study, travel and living during your study. The unique model of PhD programme in Germany, you will get "6 months-1 year training" before doing field research. This may be a strange model because each subject is scheduled on some weeks but everyday, e.g. weeks 1-3: microeconomics, week 4-5: macroeconomics, weeks 6-8: methodology, and so on.

Netherlands. Most of master programmes in Netherlands is only 1 year, but PhD programme will last on 4 years. Some universities in Indonesia also held a cooperation with Netherlands universities. Maybe you can take a double degree programme in Indonesia and Netherlands.

Japan. Did you know that living costs in Tokyo is more expensive than in New York? Yeah!! Some universities offer international programme tought in Japanese or English. Unfortunately, it is hard to get full scholarship whereas the costs is expensive. However, Monbukagakuso could be one choice.

Canada. Academic system in Canada is alike with US. I'm sorry that I have not yet elaborated the Canada deeper to know about scholarship.

4 comments:

  1. wooo, thank you for sharing this, fik! i really, really need this kind of information! X0

    have you already choose which country you want to go to, fik? i bet you have.. lucky that you're very good in academic, while me? i wonder if i'm able to get a full scholarship? m(=.=)m

    ... i have to be able to! i have to think positive!! \(>.,<)/

    if you don't mind, please keep informing us about this scholarship thingie, m'kay! (>.,^)b

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. hannii.. don't worry..

    just surf websites and you'll find the most suitable way for u.. haha.. btw, now I'm considering to choose another chance. maybe Netherlands give me an interesting offer. hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  3. fikri!! after reading whole of your information that you gather (clapping my hand), i'm so into germany or australia. hehehhe.. if there is an offer from iceland, that would be so nice!! huaaaa iceland, the dreamland of mine. heehe

    i have the same interest with you and some other friends about getting scholarship for master in abroad. but i just get an idleness for digging about those information related (ha-ha i do it otherwise when i look for facebook, or walking blog like this where i just so do fun with, hahaha). heehe... so thank you for the things u have informed.hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, who anyone in plano that doesn't want 2 study abroad? :)

    ReplyDelete