Sunday, July 12, 2009

From Reading to Writing

I think you knew that there are four competencies of language skills, i.e. listening, reading, speaking and writing. You might have also ever heard that the highest competency is writing. The writing activity needs more intensive thinking in order to create a good expression with systematic and trusted resources of ideas. Reading would be a lowest level one, because it needs only ability to understand and catch the ideas from those materials. Nevertheless, reading may be a boring part of your activities. Unfortunately, it is a must to reading a lot carefully to create an excellence writing. Isn't it?
.. to be a good writer, you have to read a much..

When I was in first year in my undergraduate program, I had to take reading class in English course. There are three groups actually, they are reading, presentation, and writing class. This classification is based on TOEFL score we gained from placement test taken before. So you know, what it's mean I grouped to reading class. Huh.. I felt so shy, and sometime I would answer the question, "Which class are you in English?" by "WR-warga reading"or "PR-pasti reading"!! Hoo..

The first year of my undergraduate program maybe the most difficult phase for me to understand expression in English both written or spoken. I felt almost getting mad when one of lecturer give his lecture in English. Ugh.. it's hard for me. But, at the second year, as you know, we began to "buy" textbooks that written in English and I tried to read it. Only one sentence I can say, "It's boring and difficult". At that time, I preferred to read only courses materials in slides given by lecturer and forgot the textbooks. Hahaha..

Huh.. The 3rd year of my study had forced me to read English articles more frequently. The reading assignment and making resume were addressed to read English words in academic context. It's a must and we couldn't avoid that. However, it has to recognized that this activities enabled me to improve my English skill and vocabulary.

One more important step is my experience during my internship now. Actually I was surprised that my project is in English so that I must read and write report in English. Damn.. This made me shocked but I had to face it. Only in one first week of my internship I could adapt with the condition, and greatly you know?? Now I can understand the articles faster and better. Moreover, now I can write easy writing like this and also academic report for my assignment. This is wonderful for me. I'm satisfied with my instance selection for my internship beside I also do love this kind of work. I do thank for this experience..

3 comments:

  1. bravo! congratulations, fikriiii!!

    your english is improving very, VERY fast! it won't be long anymore till you reach the high score for your TOEFL, i bet. keep up on this, m'kay! *grins*

    and, oh.. i can still remember the hellish assignment we had to do for our PERMODELAN class.. the nightmare.. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. it didn't come on a sudden, right?? i'm sure, because of the basic that you have, fik. kalo bahasa indonesia nya, udah tinggal di asah aja. bener kan??

    now you have jumped so well.

    hihihhi im proud of you fik, the jalmi sugih teaaaa geningan nyaaa???haahhahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. wakakakakak =))

    I'm very lucky so that I have a chance to improve my english by this work. hha.. we're on the right way, we've chosen the right internship institution!! right?? :-p

    ReplyDelete